Movin’ right along

Eric's Journal
Previous Post
Life is good
Next Post

Well, a couple weeks have gone by now since I’ve last written.  A few things have happened…but not too much. 


For one, as I said in my last post, I started at Harley.  Things started out slow there, due to the fact that I was unable to get my laptop for a couple of days.  I read a lot of motorcycle magazines and wasted a bunch of time on the internet during that time.  There just wasn’t anything I could do.  But I finally got my hands on a new laptop and quickly started getting to work.  Within the next few days I was already receiving some pretty intense requests from around the company to fix things with their applications.   There is another Java programmer on our team but he just doesn’t have the time to get around to everyone’s requests.  That’s where I come in.  Until I can get working on some bigger projects, I’ll be doing a lot of small work for various groups that need things done.  So far, I love the job.  I wear very casual clothing everyday – Harley t-shirts, jeans, and tennis shoes.   I don’t know anywhere else that lets you do that…even promote it.   It’s a very laid back atmosphere but one where everyone still expects you to get your work done.  Overall, going great on that end!


I started motorcycle classes a week and a half or so ago and finished this past Monday.  I went to the DMV and received my motorcycle license on Tuesday.  My roommate also took the classes with me as he is also working at Harley in a different group.  He already bought a bike which he’s let me take out to ride a few times already.  I think I’m going to try to save up some money and pay off some of my debt before I go out and buy a bike.  As much as I’d love to go get one, it just doesn’t seem too practical at this point.  It’s great fun, though!


Also the week I started, as some of you saw, I turned 24 years old.  I remember back in 2003 thinking that I wasn’t going to live to see the age of 19…this past year I had some serious doubts about seeing 24.  But with the support from all of you, and some pretty hardcore fighting from me, I pulled out of it okay.  Earlier this year, when I was getting my bone marrow transplant, there was a kid next to my room.  His name was Jason.  He is 20 years old.  We visited eachother fairly often and became great friends.  Since then, we have both kept in touch through the internet, and have been keeping eachother up-to-date on how we’ve been doing.  This past Thursday, I got a call from my mom.  She told me that Jason’s mom had e-mailed her and told her that Jason had contracted a lung infection and was going to need a lung biopsy and was already at the bone marrow transplant unit getting treatment for his lung infection.  Well, I had some plans to head north to Two Rivers to our local Relay for Life event, but I was already dealing with a minor foot injury and was unable to walk anyways, so I decided to stay in Milwaukee and visit Jason instead.  In 2003, I also had to get a lung biopsy for a possible lung infection.  I remember then how incredibly painful it was and wanted to be there to help Jason out a little bit during this time.  Well, Friday came around and my mom called me again.  Jason’s mom had contacted my mom again and told her that the lung biopsy results had come in.  Turns out, that Jason did not have any infection in his lungs.  His lymphoma had returned and relapsed in both of his lungs.  After hearing the news, I was immediately thrown back.  It reminded me of all the horrors I went through back in December when I heard that I had relapsed.  I immediately could feel exactly how Jason was feeling.  As I sat there in my bed, I could see Jason sitting at Froedtert going through all of the same shit that I went through.  I went to go visit Jason for an hour or two on Saturday and will plan on going back either tomorrow or Tuesday.  I talked with his family and him of course.  He was in pretty good spirits considering.  He’s a pretty damn strong fighter…and he’ll be back on his feet in no time.  He loves to go fishing, so when he gets out of there we’re definitely going to have to go fishing or something.   


To close, I know that a lot of you had been and have been praying for me throughout my ordeal.   I ask all of you to include Jason in your prayers and pray that he kicks this thing in the ass.  I will keep you all updated as often as possible as the weeks go on.  His doctor returns from vacation on Wednesday at which time they are going to have a big meeting to determine what the treatment regimen is going to be.  Until then, my doctor is actually going to be his doctor…so he’s in good hands.  





“Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference.”  ~Winston Churchill