Cari’s Blog #12

Cari's Blog
Previous Post
Cari’s Blog #11
Next Post
Team L.I.F.E. in the 2011 Door County Fall 50 Relay on Saturday 10/22/2011

Hey Everyone,

Sorry we haven’t updated you yet.  It’s kind of been a rollercoaster week, and we haven’t really had time to update you all on what’s been going on.  I know that sounds kind of weird and everything considering I’m not the patient I could have easily picked up the computer and started blogging, but truth is, I really honestly have not had the time.

I hadn’t seen Eric since last Sunday.  I knew his counts were about to drop and I wasn’t feeling the greatest.  I decided to stay away at my parent’s house just in case something was coming on.  I wasn’t going to risk it with him.

Tuesday morning, Mary, Eric’s mom took Eric down to Milwaukee for labs and to get blood and platelets if needed.  (Thank you for that Mary!!) His counts were so low he ended up needing two units.  He got his two units and ended up coming home.

Eric called me on Tuesday night to tell me he had a major temp of  103.3.  He called Froedtert, and after waiting for the oncologist that was on call to call him back they told him he needed to get to the closest Emergency room,  A.S.A.P.  His dad, Brian drove him there, and slept in a chair over night with him.  (Thank you for that Brian!!) I was instructed to just go to bed and see what I could do in the morning.

The next morning, I woke up, I got checked to make sure I was in the clear to go see Eric, and found out I was just feeling off from one of my medications, so I hightailed it over to Aurora in Two Rivers.  We waited around awhile there, and they gave Eric some antibiotics.  Sometime that afternoon we got word that he would need to go to Froedtert so he would be under the care of his primary oncologist.

We made the trip and got here somewhere between 7 and 8 that night.  Eric has some sort of infection.  They know what it is, and are treating it.  His first night here was crazy and he got platelet’s so he was up all night getting checked. The second night he got ok sleep, and last night he had to get some platelet’s and they pulled his PICC line thinking it may be the cause of infection, so they placed two I.V’s.  (I just want you reader’s to all know, I slept through ALL of this…..)  His temps seem to be coming farther apart than before which is a good sign, but he’s still getting them.  For now, we just have to wait until the temps go away.  He’s also had this really nasty headache that keeps coming and going.

We’re on a different unit than we are usually on.  It’s kind of weird to be on this unit because it’s the hallway you have to walk down to get to the unit he’s usually on.  I’ve seen these faces a million times in my life while walking to the bathroom, or cafeteria.  Now, I actually know their names, instead of just faces. A couple of them were actually excited, and we heard the phrase, “You guys get to be our patients now!!!”

Once again, I’m super sorry neither of us has updated you guys in a couple days.  Eric hasn’t been up to doing a video, and I have been running around like a crazy lady.  This is the first time in weeks I’ve actually picked up a computer, instead of just using the internet on my phone.  Thanks for all your love and support!